Question : Problem: Modem tone cuts into phone call

Hi,

I have an external Zoom modem which I have configured to use the SBS 2003 Fax service, sending and receiving faxes works like a dream as does making out going phone calls. (Phone and fax on the same line phone connected through modem).

The problem is after an incoming call is answered after about 2 seconds  the modem cuts in and then all you can hear is the modem/fax tone until you hang up the reciever and the modem disconnects. I cannot find any reason why this is happening and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Modem tone cuts into phone call

The modem is answering the phone because it thinks there is a fax.

Two things normally cause this.

One is that as the modem ages, the sensor tends to be easy to fool, so that normal voice tones may set it off.  (Or the sensor is just broken and constantly thinks there is a fax.)

Two is that the lines are reversed into the modem.  There should be two jacks on the modem, one marked line and the other marked phone, (the markings could also be icons)  If the line and phone are reversed, the modem may still work, but it cannot tell that the phone has been picked up, and can do unpredictable things, like the symptom you are describing.

Problem Two is easily corrected, by moving the jacks.

Problem One may involve having to replace the modem.  If you don't use the modem to auto-answer, and have command access to the modem, sometimes turning off auto-answer, will correct the problem.

Good Luck!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us