Question : Problem: Different GBIC brands

I have a Cisco Catalyst Switch with a Cisco GBIC, and another Cisco Switch with an IBM GBIC.  I am connecting the two together and get a link light, but they can't connect.  The two don't see each other as CDP neighbors.  Is this because of the IBM GBIC or would that even matter?

Answer : Problem: Different GBIC brands

I have always suspected that GBIC’s were a common part sold by every one with their own label, but I have never tried to mix brands. I suspect its most likely something to do with configuration since you say you have a link light, I assume you mean on both ends. It might be a trunking issue like ISL encapsulation on one end and 802.1Q on the other end, or one port set to trunk and the other one set to non trunking mode. It also could be a mismatch of GBIC types, since they are from different companies you can’t match up the part numbers directly and say they match one another, which is also one of the main reasons I haven’t been too inclined to mix brands. And it could be simply Cisco and IBM GBIC’s are incompatible although I doubt that.    
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us