Question : Problem: Scanner is recognized by the OS, but Software is not seeing it

We have Windows XP and a Canon DR-6080 scanner.  It worked fine on one PC, but when I moved it to another PC it doesn't work.  (Both PCs are the same model and OS.)

Although the scanner shows up in the Control Panel and in Device Manager, no apps that use a scanner see it.  For instance, "Microsoft Document Scanning" says "No Compatible Scanner Found" and the dropdown list of scanners is empty.  Adobe Acrobat also has a scan utility which does not see the scanner.  

In the properties for the scanner in control panel, there is supposed to be a list of applications associated with the scanner, for the one-touch button, but that list is empty.  It is as if the scanner is not registered.  

When I press the "test scanner" button the test says it's successfull.  

I looked into a possible problem with something called a still imaging service, and made sure that was started, but to no avail.

I downloaded the XP driver from Canon's website, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times.  I tried power cycling and using different USB ports.  I can also say that the 2nd PC had a lot of downloaded software on it (IM apps, Picasa, Walmart photo software, etc), and wonder if that could be related.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Scanner is recognized by the OS, but Software is not seeing it

Did you download the updated capture perfect software that came with it ?
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/download/dr6080.html

Also when you go into control panel scanners and cameras can you seelct the scanner and then do you have aquire twain driver option ?

Did you do the firmware upgrade ?
6080Firmware.exe
 DR-6080 Firmware version 2.13. Driver version 1.1 MUST be installed when using this firmware. After extracting this file, PLEASE READ THE READMEFIRST.PDF FILE. (1,210 KB)
 12/1/2005

6080DRIT.exe
 DR-6080 ISIS/TWAIN driver version 1.1 for Windows 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP NOTE: The ISIS/TWAIN driver version 1.1 only works with the DR-6080 that has the firmware version 2.13 or later installed. (10,374 KB)

see here
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/download/dr6080.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us