Question : Problem: Suitable fire extinguisher for Data Centre : pls recommend

I'm looking to buy fire extinguishers that's suitable for DC use.

Any specific type and brand that's hand-held that's prescribed for DC environment.

Prefer one that won't damage servers if we spray onto it (Carbon dioxide??) or
any halon-based type?

Preferably one that lasts at least a year (or longer is better) so that we don't have
to keep replenishing

Answer : Problem: Suitable fire extinguisher for Data Centre : pls recommend

sunhux,

Other than CO2, the options are Halotron I and FE-36. Halon has already been banned due to risk of damage to the ozone layer.

CO2 is an excellent agent for most electrical fires, but is not sufficient for Class A fires, because they tend to smolder and re-ignite when the gas dissipates (which it does quickly). It is a "clean" agent, typically causing no additional chemical damage. Large volumes are needed for effective use on a mixed-material fire, and you must watch for smoldering materials or other re-ignition sources.

Halotron I extinguishers, is also a clean agent which discharges as a liquid, has high visibility during discharge, does not cause thermal (unlike the cold generated by the rapid release of CO2) or static shock, leaves no residue and is non-conducting. It IS quite expensive compared to CO2.

FE-36 is another clean agent developed to replace Halon. It is is less toxic than both Halon 1211 and Halotron I and has no ozone-depleting potential (Halotron I is supposed to be phased out in 2015). It is also expensive.

Cheers,
LHerrou

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us