Question : Problem: What should my transfer speeds be between partitions on a RAID 0?

I'm getting about 10MB/s transferring from one partition to another partition on a RAID 0. Raid controller is rated at 2.0GB/s and drives are rated at 1.5GB/s.

Is it typical to only see 10MB/s transferring in windows between the 2 partitions? If not what's the fix?

Note: Vista 32 bit.
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Nforce4 RAID Chipset, latest NVIDIA drivers.  

Answer : Problem: What should my transfer speeds be between partitions on a RAID 0?

-Polak,

You should see around 100-120 mb, and as must as (theoritically speaking) 187.5. I have a single raptor drive (about 4 years old) and I get about 70, partition to partition, with a single drive.

How are you determining the transfer rate? Are you using the Vista "pop-up" in explorer or my computer? I would try the "task manager" > disk performance.

Also - download a HD performance test (HD Tach, etc). See if your RAID array is around "standard" rates in other operations.

Finally, are you jumpers on the drives EXACTLY the same for each drive? Windows updates, all complete for Vista?

I hate to say it, but the vista "transfer rate" calculation is terribly off, in explorer, because it doesn't seem to "count" until sometime after the transfer has started or even been completed, thus the "average" (actually the mean) is way off! I don't trust it. Instead, I know, from feel, if it seems fast or slow!

Hope this helps,
Kevin
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us