Question : Problem: New to Citrix - looking for guidance

My company is looking to setup a Citrix server and recently sent me to class a few months ago to learn the basic administration of the software. Problem is that this training was 3 months ago and they've finally got around to OK'ing the purchase and a lot of the stuff I 'learned' in class has been long forgotten. So, I have a few questions I was hoping I could ask - with more to potentially come in the future.

I'm having some issues getting applications to publish correctly. Win2003 server, Presentation server 4.5, single citrix server install.

1. I've installed the program on the server and tried publishing the .exe file and the program never loads. I've since read that the install should be done from add/remove programs but when I go to do that I get the message that..

"This machine is running Terminal Services in Application Server Mode. Applications are not available to install from the network in this mode."

Did I do something wrong with the initial install?

2. Since installing the Citrix client on one of my work stations for testing purposes I also get the error message..

"Program Neighborhood Agent could not contact the server entered. This may be because the server is down, there is an error in the configuration file from the server or the details entered are incorrect. Please try again."

I've tried a few different server addresses formats along with the server IP and the error remains. I can however access some local published apps through Citrix Program neighborhood.

Any help on either or both of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Answer : Problem: New to Citrix - looking for guidance

Have you setup Web Interface and a PNAgent site?  PNAgent is a different type of Web Interface site (all done from the Access Management Console on the Web Interface server -- NOTE: Web Interface versions do not have to match Citrix Presentation Server versions (4.6 is the latest version of Web Interface currently).  If you don't plan on using PNAgent, then uninstall the PNAgent client (on both the Citrix server and the actual client desktop, if deployed.  You can download the Web Client only option and deploy it via Active Directory, the Web Interface site, or by simply double-clicking the .msi file (http://www.citrix.com/English/SS/downloads/details.asp?dID=2755&downloadID=683986&pID=186#top).  For all internal workstations, it's very straight-forward to deploy the client via Active Directory.  Web Interface 4.6 has a simple deployment as well...  If you want to make it easy for users, you can also package the .msi file yourself (so the user has to do even less).

Here's a great starting point for Web Interface:  http://support.citrix.com/product/wi/psv4.6/

What I generally recommend for simpler environments is to install on the Citrix Web Client (newest version) only, unless you REALLY need to install PNAgent and/or the full Program Neighborhood client.  They all have their purposes, but it's one more thing for users to potentially "break" or have a problem with...  The Citrix web client only is "invisible" to the users because there is no direct interface they could "break" -- letting YOU do all the administration on the Web Interface server.

Hope this helps!
Chris
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us