Question : Problem: External USB HDD with HP notebook

Hi all,
I am in problem. I have a HP notebook(N5150) with following config. : 192 MB RAM, 10 GB HDD, P-III @ 550 Mhz, Windows ME, USB 2.0. I have just bought a new external Hard drive of capacity 40 GB to add to my laptop. The hard disk is SmartDisk Firelite USBFLB40-C(http://smartdisk.com/eWeb/smartdiskus/www/staticpages/fireliteporthdd.asp). However when i plug it into my laptop it is detected and installed but no drive letter is allocated to it so i cant use it even when it is working. The same disk works on other computers i have tried running Windows XP, 2003, 2000 but did not get a chance to test it on another 98 or ME machine. My internal HDD has one partition and i have a DVD ROM installed on my laptop so next available drive letter is e. I tried typing this in URL window of explorer but no success. I also tried uninstalling and rebooting my laptop lot of times but no help. There are no network drives mapped. Also on same laptop i can work with my 512 MB Pen drive and 512 MB Sandisk memory stick.
Also lately i have tried to attach a 80 GB disk of same company which i borrowed from a friend and that works fine on my laptop.
I am totally surprised by this.

Please help

Thanks
Prashant

Answer : Problem: External USB HDD with HP notebook

Hi prashantagarw10,
Can you check the file system on the external HDD? Is it that the HDD has NTFS that the windows ME system cannot recognise?

Cheers!
CoolJai
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us