Question : Problem: RJ-45 connectors:  Are cat5 jacks as good as Cat5e Jacks? Cat 5 Cat 5e RJ-45

I have been slowly upgrading our wiring scheme from multi-level star / rat's nest to switch closets with more hard-wired connections.  I am trying to replace everything with cat 5e equipment.  In the process, I am coming up with a lot of left over Cat 5 RJ-45 Jacks.  I am reluctant to re-use them  because of this idea I have that everything should be cat 5e.  Is there that much difference between a cat 5 RJ-45 and a cat 5e RJ-45?

One other issue:  these cat 5 connectors are only marked with one wiring protocol.  I assume it is T568A, but can anyone verify?

Answer : Problem: RJ-45 connectors:  Are cat5 jacks as good as Cat5e Jacks? Cat 5 Cat 5e RJ-45

Ya, the wall jack is what I am talking about too :-).  All it does is couple two Ethernet cables together -- one on each side of the wall.

Let's put it this way:
A wall jack is made to the specifications of RJ45 plugs, not Cat5, Cat5e, or CatWhatever cabling.  It just so happens that Cat5/Cat5e and RJ45 go hand-in-hand, so that's where the confusion comes in.  But the wiring makes no difference to the wall jack.  The little label is just there to help you wire it correctly.

I once had a guy rip apart a whole home theater system I had installed, and told the customer I had done it wrong simply because I used a composite A/V cable (with yellow, white, and red connectors) to plug in a component video device (which uses red, green, and blue connectors).

A connector is just a connector no matter the color.  Any discussion of the cable that connector is attached to is irrelevant.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us