Question : Problem: Ghost Restore causes Vista to clear Restore Points

Hi - I just made a Ghost 2003 backup of my Vista Ultimate system partition which included about 8GB of restore points (\System Volume Information).  But when I restore the image, Vista shows that there are no restore points. I have confirmed that the restore points were saved within the image.

Does anyone know what the Ghost restore process is doing that tells Vista that something has changed so that it should clear the restore points?

With Regards-
Sam

Answer : Problem: Ghost Restore causes Vista to clear Restore Points

I don't know whether the restore points are deleted or just deemed "invalid", but they definitely can't be moved in Vista.  Not sure what Ghost 2003 is doing with them (since Ghost 2003 is pre-Vista and not certified for Vista).

Quote:
Windows Vista marks the System Volume Information folder/files as "do not move" which means that if a defragmenter requests to "move" one of these files, the file system will reject the request.
The bug with Volsnap in Vista (discovered by Raxco and reported to Microsoft) primarily has to do with the fact that Windows at the point in the boot process where offline defrag occurs hasn't marked these files as "do not move" and if a defragmenter "moves" these files, corruption can occur.
http://perfectdiskblog.typepad.com/perfectdisk_blog/2007/04/vista_some_busi.html

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us