Question : Problem: Does anyone know a good antenna to extend the signal of an Actiontec wireless router?

I have Verizon FIOS with an Actiontec M1424WR and the signal is really poor in the same open room only about 20 feet away.  I did some research and found that the wireless antenna on this model is not the greatest.  I'm looking for a good antenna to increase the signal.  Before looking into this, I purchased a Linksys WRE54G wireless expander.  First off, this was the biggest pain in the butt to setup.  Linksys even said DON'T USE OUR INSTALL SOFTWARE.  After extensive troubleshooting, I was able to setup the device on the network a which seems to work ok in a dead spot but the download speed is slow.  The download speed is 3 Mbps with excellent signal strengh.  If I stand next to the wireless router, the download speed is 10Mbps.  The wireless expander doesn't seem to be doing much.  I'm thinking that the signal from the router needs to be stronger in order for the Linksys wireless expander to work properly.  Maybe a longer antenna at the router would increase the download speed for the expander in the dead spot.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Answer : Problem: Does anyone know a good antenna to extend the signal of an Actiontec wireless router?

Sounds like maybe a radio problem with the Actiontec. If you have a weak signal at 20ft I doubt an antenna will solve the problem. Is this a new install? Can you request another unit from Verizon? . Have you tried changing the channel the Actiontec uses? The non-overlapping channels are 1,6 and 11.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us