Question : Problem: FireWire Conflict

I have an XP Professional OS on a 2.4 Gig Asus based Board P4B533-E and I have been using a MXTOR Backup 1394 drive.  It works great!  Last night I purchased a Sony DRX-710 UL External DVD and CD burner.  It allows both USB2.o and 1394 hook ups.  When I daisy chan the DVD burner and turn it on, the External MXTOR Drive stopr operating!  Are there ID  numbers on these devices like SCSII???  I can't use my USB channel.  It is glutted with all the other devices like Scanner, printer camera, mouse, keyboard and much more...

Any suggestions?

Dennis Kean

Answer : Problem: FireWire Conflict

Firewire by nature can be daisy chained or hubbed. However, sometimes there are incompatibilities with the PHY chips on these devices, best bet is to only daisy-chain like devices (eg same brand) one thing you might wish to try if possible is daisy chain in the other way (switch the order of the drives) Firewire does generate a unique GUID based on several factors, mainly the device VID (vendor id) the manufacturer name/model name and of course a unique serial number. But seeing as how these are different brands I find it very unlikely that there should be a conflict in the GUID's How many firewire ports does your computer have? Have you tried pluging them both directly in instead of daisy-chaining? If both are direct, does the Maxtor HDD still get kicked off?

-D
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us