Question : Problem: Ext. USB2 HD crash mid transfer

I have just bought a usb2 external hard drive case and a 2.5" laptop drive from ebay. The case is branded BlueEye, the hard drive is a new hitachi 20Gb. When i try to transfer a large file or lots of small files the drive just disconects itself (ie. power led goes of, xp detects it as disconected, beep-boop). It works fast and fine with small single files. The drive is formatted as fat32. Motherboard is A7N8X, windows is XP pro SP1. The drive also runs fine in windows 98 under usb2 or fine under xp with usb1 (i just set the bios to usb1 not 2). I have not tested the drive on any other usb2 computers. I have tryied various things such as disabling system restore on the drive etc. There are no error messages anywhere. HELP!

Answer : Problem: Ext. USB2 HD crash mid transfer

The problem you are experiencing may be due to power management in Windows XP causing a problem with USB 2.0 ports.

Try the following before connecting the drive to the USB 2.0 port:

Click Start, and right-click My Computer.
Click Properties, then click Hardware.
Click Device Manager.
Double-click the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch to expand it.
Right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
Click Power Management.
De-select the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

Note: If the Root Hub is listed twice in the Device Manger, perform the steps for both the root hubs.
Click OK, and close Device Manager.

Now connect the drive to the USB 2.0 port and try transfering large files
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us