Question : Problem: IBM eServer not powering up! =(

We just got a used IBM eServer 326 (8848). Yesterday I got it up and running, loaded the trial version of Win2K3 Server and ran a Burnin Test for 6.5 hours. No errors came up and everything worked fine. I powered down the system at the end of the day and when I came in this morning the server won't turn on. I swapped power supplies with an identical server, swapped outlets, swapped power cords, called IBM (they told me it was a bad power supply). Which it is not. I put the power supply from the non-working server in the other working server and it worked just fine. I have unplugged and plugged nearly every connection same with the memory. Now the thing that gets me is that i still have power doing to the board. the NIC activity lights are active and so is the light on the mainboard. But when I press the power button, nothing happens...HELP?

Answer : Problem: IBM eServer not powering up! =(

Remove all the cards and devices except for the hard drive. Power it on. If you can tell that is is booting, start putting the devices / cards back in one at a time until you find the bad device / card. I had this happen to me before and it turned out that one of the cards had shorted out.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us