Question : Problem: NETGEAR / LINKSYS wireless problem

I recently bought a NETGEAR wireless router WGR 614 v3 and a LINKSYS wireless adapter WUSB11. I have a Verizon DSL with dynamic IP. I tried going with automatic settings but it's not working: the adapter recognizes that there's a NETGEAR network, but the Internet connection is not working. I tried setting up an MSHOME network and running Internet Connection wizard but no use. The internet works on the computer with router.

Here are my settings:
Comp with wireless router
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Comp with wireless adapter
IP Address: 169.254.100.7
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: blank

I also noticed channel setting on router. It was 11 and I changed to 1 just to see if it would help. I don't know how to change channel setting on the wireless adapter. By the way, both comps are windows XP.

Any help with setting this up manually will be appreciated.
Thanks

Answer : Problem: NETGEAR / LINKSYS wireless problem

Oh, good that makes sense.

OK assuming you are not running WEP, or MAC filtering the basics are like this:

Go to Network Connections, there should be a wireless network connection click on it, and select properites.  Click on the wireless network tab at the top, and that allows you to configure what Access Points you will attach to.

I set my WEP to off, since I have nothing to hide, and know my AP does not even hit the street, since it is in the basement, and can't get there.  

Click on the TCP/IP protocol listing, and make sure it is set up to use dhcp, and that is all you should need to know, other than testing if you have an IP with ipconfig.  

Once you have an IP, you are set :)

Quash!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us