Question : Problem: CAT5e wall socket with CAT 6 cable

Here is my scenario....

I have a new server that is housed in a room about 30 metres away from the main patch panel and switches. At present a single Cat 5 cable links the 2 rooms. I have now discovered that there is also a CAT6 cable that has been trunked accross although the RJ45 jack is faulty. As my server has a gigabit ethernet card i would like to take advantage of this and use the CAT 6 cable.

My first thought was to simply snip the cable and add another jack but i seem to remember CAT6 is quite fiddly to work with (and I'm never been that good at making network cables anyway) so i thought i would snip the cable and fit it to a wall socket. I've just looked through my networking box and found that the only wall socket modules I have are labelled as CAT5E. (568B)

So on to my questions....

1. Is using a wall socket and then a patch lead likely to give a weaker signal strength as opposed to simply attaching the cable straight to the server?

2. Is using a CAT5e wall socket module with CAT6 cable likely to cause me any issues?

3. Assuming I use the CAT5e wall socket, will any patch leads attached to it have to be 568B or could I use 568A

Answer : Problem: CAT5e wall socket with CAT 6 cable

Hello metamatic,

1. No providing the cable is good

2. No for wring see my site http://www.petenetlive.com/Tech/Networking/networking2.htm

3 No a standats stright through cable will work :) providing you wire the socket correctly of course :)

Regards,

PeteLong
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us