Question : Problem: PC Configuration with 2 hard drives

Just bought a new WD 160 gig HD 7200rpm w/ 8MB cache, I also have a 80 gig ST380021A hard drive, which I believe is a Seagate http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/ata/st380021a.html this is info on drive that I could find. Also seems to be 7200rpm, and I think a 2MB cache.

Now my 80gig currently has windows and all my files on it, but I'm looking for a setup which will give me the best performance.

I need to know stuff like:
Which drive should be Master
Which drive should I put the OS on
How Should I set-up my partitions
Where do I put the swap file

I have read on the internet that some people set up different partitions for stuff like game installations, p2p apps, music etc.

Im basically looking for the best performance using 2 drives.

Also I might be interested in having 2 OS's having Linux on one to do some experimenting, but I dont want 1 hd for linux, 1 for windows, I am mainly using windows and want the fastest set up for that.

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Problem: PC Configuration with 2 hard drives

A. The report I sent you explanes it...Also, logically; if you have two drives running diffrent speed there has to be a way to overcome that speed issues thus If the SWAP file is located on the other drive; the reading will be slower than where the situation is that the SWAP file is in the same drive... unfortunatly, I cant find any report that supports your situation.

B. The 160GB is much faster and efficiant in data transfer but it has one problem though and it is its space. Accessing and searching data in this amount of space may take longer (though unfelt) to gain. If you partition the drive to contain the OS on one side and the other software on the other you may get better performance.

C. MS is recommending to do such partitioning on Servers due to the fact that those are heavy machines... You may read SBS implementation which is downloadable via MS site.

All I can wish you is the best of luck... Im going home to rest a bit...

Cyber
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us