Question : Problem: Pentium Dual Core Performance

I have to order a batch of 280 desktops for next year as part of our yearly replacement project.
We were thinking about ordering the dell gx755 with the Pentium dual core 1.6 ghz E2140 chip.
This seems to be their budget business desktop. A little research seemed to indicate that the pentium dual core is essentially a core 2 duo processor with less cache.

This sounds similar to the Celeron - P4 relationship.

In my organization, Celerons that we have inherited are generally looked down upon.

What I want to avoid is bringing in 280 pcs with a modern day Celeron processor.

Users mainly run microsoft office apps and some specialty banking apps.

The pcs we ordered in early 2007 came with 3ghz pentium D chips

Can someone give me an informed opinion on the Pentium Dual Core E2140 chip and whether you would order this chip for your organization (assuming you run similar apps)

Answer : Problem: Pentium Dual Core Performance

Your assessment is correct => the "Pentium" E2140 is essentially just a Core 2 Duo with less cache (1MB vs. 2-4MB for the "Core 2" CPUs).

It performs very nicely ... and will do very well with the application mix you're noted.   It easily outperforms the previous generation of Pentiums; runs very cool; and for the applications you've noted would be an excellent choice.

... that said, there will always be folks who don't like the fact that you didn't use the "latest and greatest" CPU in your new desktops.   Although it's difficult to avoid the mindset that you're bringing in "... a modern day Celeron ..." anytime you don't use the latest/greatest CPU's (Core 2's), Intel has positioned these new Pentiums to be between their Celeron and Core 2 processors ==> there ARE Core-2 based Celerons [http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001157+1389627502+1050706981&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc= ]
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us