Question : Problem: P4 3.4 running too hot (LGA 775 P4-550)

Hi,

I have a Intel Pentium 4 550 in LGA 775 package on an Asus P5GD2-Deluxe motherboard.

The cpu is :
Family F
Model 3
Stepping 4
Revision D0

I was using the stock Intel cooler since new and I had no problems for over a year.

Recently. I noticed my computer running slowly and mssing frames in games.

I installed a hardware monitor and found that my cpu was at 74 degree's and throttling 50-100%

I took the computer apart, checked the heatsink and fan was firmly attached and removed it and cleaned off the heatsink compound with alcohol and installed a fresh thin layer of Arctic Silver 5.

I powered back up and the cpu was hitting 72 degree's

I cleaned and re-applied the Arctic silver again and still 72 degree's

I decided that the stock cooler was probably on its way out and so ordered a nice big Zalman 7700. I installed this as well as a big noisey 120mm exhaust fan on the case.

The temperature has dropped alot now to 64degrees idle and 68-69degrees if running prime95

It's still way too hot, I get 10-20% throttling now at full load (better then 50-100%) but not acceptable.

What the hell happened? It used to be fine. The Zalman should be more then enough to keep it within a reasonable temperature as the stock cooler used to keep it at 50-60 degrees.

Answer : Problem: P4 3.4 running too hot (LGA 775 P4-550)

It is not something you want to do, if you expect to keep using it; on the other hand, this cpu is useless in its current state.  The fact that the stock heatsink is hot tells me heat IS being transfered; it's just that the cpu is acting as if it is running at 100% all the time, so I don't think it's a matter of bad contact.  Bad contact would result in a hot cpu but a cool heatsink.

The price of dual core Preslers (9xx series) has dropped, so if your motherboard supports it, it might be a good time to buy one.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us