Question : Problem: Can't figure out SMS error.

I am a SMS noob. This is the error message that I am getting after a failed push. I am pretty sure I built the package correctly and I know that the network location is correct...

The source directory "\\10.1.1.6\software\SMS Push" for package "ASF0003B" does not exist. The operating system reported error 5: Access is denied.
Solution: Make sure you have specified a valid package source directory on the Data Source tab in the Package Properties dialog box in the SMS Administrator console. If you specify a local path, it must be a local path on the site server. If you specify a path on a network drive, verify that the path exists and that the path is typed correctly.

I know the package exsists. I am at a loss....

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Problem: Can't figure out SMS error.

Are you getting this error from the PC itself or from the package status on the server?

You start with an unique source directory on the sms server.  When you make a distribution point for the package, it copies the source directory to the package share, which will have the package id in it.  Example:

\\mysmsserver\e$\SMSPKGE$\0010001B

If the source directory is updated, renamed or removed, SMS will usually throw a fit.  If it is updated, you need to update all DPs.  If renamed, you must update the package source path within the package settings.

I would make a new install directory and a new package.  Give the folder a unique name, such as "fubu" and place your files there.  After building the package, add a distribution point to the package and then update the DP.  Your package "fubu" should then copy to a folder like this:

\\10.1.1.60\SMSPKGE$\000001B

This is what the client sees when your push arrives to it.

You want to keep your source directories clean, unique and informative, such as:

Dell.DCCU.3.0.WOL.Settings.v1

Autodesk.Autocad.2000LT

Having a directory called "SMS Push", if used by more then 1 program, would be extremely "bad".  You need unique directories like Program1, Program2, etc.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us