Question : Problem: Spec UPS Power Required For a Mix of Dell PowerEdge Servers

Hi,

We are setting up a new office, and we have an old UPS which no longer fits our requirements. I have 3 PowerEdge 2950's, 1 PE 2850, 1 PE 1850, 2 PE SC1420, and I want to spec a UPS that can handle these and possibly 2 or 3 more servers, but I have no idea how to do this. The servers have varying number of CPUs, RAM, and some machines are up to 3 years older than our newer equipment.

How does one go about accurately calculating the correct UPS power spec?

Thanks,
Fin

Answer : Problem: Spec UPS Power Required For a Mix of Dell PowerEdge Servers

For sizing, use the APC calculator (link above).

Don't forget:

Know your mains supply.  100VAC/50Hz is different thatn 120VAC/60Hz.  And you will never get either one from municipal power supply.  In 200/240 or greater voltages, you should have your mains tested to ensure that it falls within spec for the UPS.  Questionable 100/120 should also be tested.

Know your local codes.  In some jurisdictions, you can't fully load your racks without engineering plans.  Also, some inspectors may want fire/smoke monitoring.  If you don't own the building, your landlord may want to meter your electrical usage needs above 2-2.5 W/sq.ft.

Buy the network card for the UPS.  You'll need it (and the softwareinstalled on the servers) to perform orderly shutdowns on multipledevices.  http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=98

Leave room for growth, but not too much.  50-75% loaded is more efficient than 25% loaded.

If you want more runtime, buy the extended runtime model with capacity for extra batteries.  It is more expensive than the standard models, but more efficient that overbuying Watts / Volt-Amps.  You could run all your servers off two 3,000VA units.  Which brings us to...

When using smaller UPS units, buy two.  Your servers should have redundant power supplies.  Would be a shame to plug them both into the same UPS on the same electrical circuit.  With two UPS units, you can power one down and remove one for maintenance/replacement without taking the servers down.  Larger UPS systems will have multiple power input options, but the smaller ones have a single cord or hardwired to a single circuit.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us