Question : Problem: Dual IP addresses on one NIC.

Hi, I have a NIC that's set up with a routable IP address. I also need to have a non-routable 192 address on that machine for access to a storage device. So, I need to add a second IP address of the type 192.168... to the machine with the routable IP address, so it can access the storage device.

Is there a way to have 1 NIC service 2 different IP addresses?

If not, what other solution could I use to segment my storage device onto a completely separate logical network, without adding a second network card?

Thanks,
Fulano

Thanks for your help.

Answer : Problem: Dual IP addresses on one NIC.

hi!
i suppose you need a bit different configuration.
when you have 2 ip addresses on one nic it means you have one physical subnet with multiple ip subnets.
still if you can use sniffer well you always can explore your network and configure your pc with the different ip subnet.
so replace yourself with evil minded person and you'll understand that your san network is unprotected.
i suppose you have to create separate vlan for san network
this can be done using managed switches within your company.
placing your san into separate vlan will place san into separate physical subnet.
then you can configure your network card with vlans (for intel cards see intel proset tool) - this will create 2 virtual adapters on top of real one. one virtual adapter will receive ip from dhcp server in your corporate network, but the second one will be configured with ip address to reach san.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us