Question : Problem: Loss of video memory (from 128 to 64mb of video ram)!?!

Hi, I have an Acer Travelmate 4654LMI (Acer Dunlin Motherboard) that has an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with 128mb video memory.  A few days ago, games would no longer run and upon investigating I discovered I now have only 64mb of video memory.  I am wondering if some setting got changed or if something is wrong with the hardware, or just what would cause this loss of video memory?  I am somewhat computer savvy, but by no means an greatly advanced user so any help will be appreciated.  Tonight I did a back to factory settings restore and I still only have 64 mb of video memory.  At least I have a great warranty!  Thanks much!

Ryan

Answer : Problem: Loss of video memory (from 128 to 64mb of video ram)!?!

The GMA900 is a shared memory video device.   The allocation is dynamic, but won't exceed what is set in the BIOS.   Your BIOS settings may have been changed (this is unusual if you didn't do it) ==> check in the BIOS to see how much memory is allocated for your graphics adapter.

... by the way, a reset to factory configuration does not alter the BIOS => just the OS.   So that won't have any impact on this issue (as you found out).

In addition, there are a few games that need patches to work with the GMA900 -- see the compatibility list here to see if the games you're playing are among those:  http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-011967.htm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us