Question : Problem: Monitor turns off and on

I am running ubuntu 8.10 on an ebox with a dell monitor.

Every time I boot up, the monitor turns off and then back on as it loads the gnome desktop.  It may turn off and then back on several times and then act normal.  I hear the same loud sound that a monitor makes when if first powers up.

Does the same thing every time I try to open office 2000 using codeweavers cxcrossover.  Whatever it is doing affects fhe office applications.  When it trys to open an excel file and the monitor truns off and then back on, excel comes back and tells me that the file is read only!

When it boots up or I try to open an excel file it acts the same way it does when I change screen resolutions, except it may turn off and then on a few extra times.  Different screen resolutions on boot up do not seen to have any effect on the problem.  (It acts the same requardless of the screen resolution at shut down>)

I found a post that talked about editing the xorg.conf file.  I did a locate for xorg.conf and it came back with a location of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I tried to look at that fle and it turned out to be a blank file!

I am sure that something, somewhere is not set properly, but I have no idea where to look or how to solve the problem.

Thanks for your help

Answer : Problem: Monitor turns off and on

Of course. My bad! :-)

So this sentence is not necessarily correct:
(If Xubuntu actually works, PC/OS will of course also work, if you prefer that instead.)
-Unless the drivers is also in the 8.04-repos. -Or you an use the drivers that are in the 8.10-repos.

Digression: As I am Norwegian, my English isn't always up to date. Right now I was unsure how to spell necessarily, but when I, in the integrated Google-search in Firefox, began to write "nesce" (you see the bad spelling?)  it acctually suggested necessarily! :-)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us