Question : Problem: WRV54G Remote dektop connection problem

Im trying to enable remote desktop on pc N.1(Host)  on my local lan at home. I have PC N2(Remote) also behind the router from were Im trying to connect to N.1. I understand I need to setup a fixed IP for (N.1) instead of the automatic assignment by DCHP. But when I change it my conection with internet is lost. Im trying to setup things here with the following setup guide...The "setting a Fixed IP is confusing..."

http://www.theuniformsolution.com/download/files/remotedesktop.pdf

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Answer : Problem: WRV54G Remote dektop connection problem

suplyair, you need to make sure the IP you assign is in the same subnet (IP range) as you are using now, it should not be an address in the same range as the DHCP scope (range) of your router, and you also have to add the Gateway and DNS entries to the configuration.
-Go to the DHCP configuration of the router (on the network you are connecting to) find the range it is set for. It will be something like 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.100  Now choose an IP with a different last octet (last set of numbers) like 192.168.0.200  Make sure it is not the same as any other device on your network such as the router and is between 1-254 inclusive.
-You will also need the other IP address information. Go to a command prompt (DOS window) by entering CMD in the Start | Run box and enter   ipconfig  /all   It will return the rest of the information you need:
Subnet mask  likely 255.255.255.0
Gateway  the address of your router something like 192.168.0.1
DNS1  1st DNS server address provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) different IP range like 123.123.123.123
DNS2  2nd DNS server

Now open the TCP/IP properties of your network card and enter the appropriate values.

Let us know how you make out. You may want help with some other parts of the configuration.
--Rob
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us