Question : Problem: Stream multiple servers

Hi,

In a proposed backup solution (a more in depth description can be found in another question here: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Q_22587488.html) backup exec is going to be implemented on a dedicated backup server. This will use remote agents to draw data from 6 other servers, running the remote agent software.

We have decided to use a disk-to-disk-to-tape solution, so it is stored temporarily on the backup server and then a duplication job runs to back the temporary data on the backup server up to a tape drive.

My question:
1) Can multiple remote agents be streamed across to the backup server at the same time, i.e. can we configure servers 1 and 2 to transfer their data to the disk of the backup server at the same time, since there is only a small time window each night to perform the backup?

Answer : Problem: Stream multiple servers

Yes, you can run multiple backup-to-disk jobs at the same time. The amount of backups you can run in parallel to a B2D device can be defined in the properties of the "Backup-to-disk" device. ("Allow x concurrent jobs for this backup-to-disk folder"). Then run two jobs at the same time - one for server1 and the other for server2. I would start the second 5 minutes after the first.
If you allow multiple concurrent operations, I would suggest selecting the option to "Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files". This will reduce fragmentation on your B2D folder, and thus increase performance.

Alternatively, if you have enough disks, you could create two different B2D devices on different disks (and drive letters). This would alos allow you to run backups in parallel to each of the separate B2D devices.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us