Question : Problem: How To Configure My Router To Use P2P

I'm using WinXP with Motorola SBG1000 Router. I 'm using edonkey p2p and i seem to be block from the firewall. I have set it to  DHCP-enabled and i can't figure out what the lan ip is that i must used to configure in port forwarding and port triggering. My gateway is on 192.168.0.1 and when i do a ipconfig. it say i'm on 192.168.0.3. ? which is my lan ip and do i need to set a static ip for my station. Can someone teach me how to configure the IP and Port such that i can bypass my firewall

Answer : Problem: How To Configure My Router To Use P2P

Hi desmond ang

It is possible, you just have a small mis-understanding of how your router works and your ISP does not have all the facts. A lot of ISP's will not support networking set-ups because they do not have network people working for them.

In fact, most ISP's use DHCP to assign dynamic IP addresses to their clients. This is standard practice.

Yes, your ISP works on DHCP, but as I have explained earlier, your router is both a DHCP client & a DHCP Server. Therefore, when it is turned on the DHCP client asks your ISP's DHCP Server for an Valid Internet IP address. This is a dynamic IP address which is supplied by them and is routable. (means other computers on the internet can see it)

Then you router has it's own built in DHCP Server, which assigns computers hooked up to it a private IP address that is not routable on the internet. (Therefore, other internet pc's cannot see your computers, this is called NAT)

example. My router's DHCP Client gets an ip address from my ISP, My current IP is 65.95.138.185 and this IP is routable and a valid internet IP address belonging to Bell Sympatico. This IP number is dynamic and if I turn my router off and then back on, I will be assigned a new Ip number.

The DHCP Server in my router then assigns my 3 computers, IP addresses starting at 192.168.0.100 thru 192.168.0.103
unless I turn it off and assign them static IP addresses. Which I have done. my static ip's are 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.4

I wish we could fix this up for you. I think this router's setup is too complicated, I would suggest purchasing a more user friendly router, such as the SMC70004VBR, this is the one I am currently using. Easy to setup and cheap to buy. Another brand that is easy to setup and fairly inexpensive is the DLINK DI-604. See the links below. They also have wireless versions of these two routers. Both have built-in firewalls as well.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=257&site=c
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

Let me know. If you purchase the smc or Dlink, I can walk you through the setup easily. Look in my profile for my email address
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us