Question : Problem: Ambient temperature and CPU temp -- how hot is too hot?

I've got an HP 4400 workstation with two temp sensors -- one reporting 'ambient temp' and another reporting CPU temp.  I  know that temperature monitoring is an important part of computing for gamers, but as for me, I'm a tyro -- I just want to keep the computer cool because I want it to last.  I know that excessive heat is an enemy of electronic components.

The actual temperature in here is about 74 degrees Fahrenheit -- or 23 centigrade.  (Or so says the little thermometer on my desk.)

My readings from the HP 4400 (in centigrade).

Ambient:  36
CPU Temp:  52

(I'm assuming that the ambient reading is taken inside the 4400 box -- if not, I've got a problem.)  

How does that stack up? (Bearing in mind that it's summer now, and I compute during the day.)   Perfectly okay, nothiing to worry about, just fine?  Too hot?  

I scoured the web, but couldn't find a link to general info on this.  If you have one, I'd love to see it.  

Answer : Problem: Ambient temperature and CPU temp -- how hot is too hot?

Adam, you worry too much :o)

52 C from CPU is not really bad. I have systems that reported cpu temp average of 65-70 C during busy hours and those systems are running 24/24 never OFF.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us