Question : Problem: Need help selecting compatible AGP video card for motherboard (and for linux - Ubuntu 7.04)

I have a computer I recently received from someone that has an onboard graphics controller.  I would like to purchase an AGP video adapter for this system, but I need some help making sure that I purchase something compatible with the motherboard, and also with the OS that I have installed, which is Ubuntu linux, version 7.04.

The information I have from the motherboard manual is as follows:
- CFI-S968L High Performance Socket478B Motherboard -- Chyang Fun Industry Co, Ltd.
- From the manual: "Only 1.5V AGP Card is supported.  If 3.3V AGP Card added, the mainboard will burn."
- Also exactly from the manual:
VGA:
* Integrated Graphics controller in 845GE GMCH
* Support 3D/2D enhancements
* Support AGP8X bandwidth, Max Bandwidth 2.1GB/sec
* Support extend AGP4X slot
* Chrontel CH7010 DVI Transmitter + TV Encoder ADD card
* TV-out supporting up to 1024x768 graphics resolutions

And then, there is a sticker covering the AGP slot itself which reads:
"Do not use AGP2X (3.3) Card. Using 3.3V AGP will damage the board."

I am confused as to what specific AGP I can use with this board.  Can someone help?

Answer : Problem: Need help selecting compatible AGP video card for motherboard (and for linux - Ubuntu 7.04)

Hello sah18:

AGP2x video cards went out with the Model T (well, sort of) so you are unlikely to find one in a new condition.  

All you have to look for is a video card marked 'AGP 4x/8x' - those use 1.5 V bus signaling and will work fine.

As for Ubuntu Linux support, you should look at candidate board specifications - the vendor will usually indicate the versions of Linux it will work with.  Most video cards are built around standard chipsets (nVidia Geforce 5200, or ATI Radeon 7000 for example) and the drivers for these are written by the chipset vendors or by third parties.  Linux drivers can be a little slower out of the chute, so an older chipset is more likely to have Linux support.

I often look at user reviews for details on Linux support - for example, the MSI FX5200-TD128LF Geforce FX5200, is listed on the NewEgg site for US$31 and has 40 user reviews.  Several mention Linux support although none specifiaclly mention Ubuntu, although I would expect the unit to work with Ubuntu.  This card is built around the nVidia Geforce 5200 chipset and it's likely that any drivers for that chipset will work with it.

You should take a look at the Ubuntu support forums for specifics about supported video cards/chipsets.

To answer your later question: An AGP8X card will l work in a 4X slot but not in a 2X slot since the singnaling voltages are different (1.5 vs 3.3V).

Here's a bit of Wikipedia on AGP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

wb

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us