Question : Problem: ASUS Formula Maximus cannot install OS

New computer build with the following components:
ASUS Formula Maximus MOBO w/6GB Corsair DDR2 800 and Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
2 Raptor-x 150GB HDD SATA + Samsung SATA DVD + Toshiba IDE CD
USB Card reader/FDD

I am trying to install a dual boot WinXP and Vista 64 system. I get an error that there is an unregonized CPU error on boot and a message to update the BIOS but the boot process continues after F1 Resume.

1. Vista boots and begins to install but says no valid drives are available. Both drive 0 and drive 1 appear in the list and both can be formatted to the correct size but install will not continue.
2. I tried loading WinXP and it gets past the blue screen section but fails when it trys to reboot into windows.
3.  I tried creating a Utility Disk from Western Digital but it would not boot.

Can this be due to the BIOS error? The BIOS can be updated from the BIOS System but I don't believe it can be backed up as is strongly recommended except after you have an OS or even a DOS bppt disk but none of these work.

Any suggestions?

Answer : Problem: ASUS Formula Maximus cannot install OS

Thanks for your comments. I apologize for not trying the obvious solution before asking the question. It was of course that I needed to update the BIOS. ASUS has a utillity built into the motherboard setup that will install a new BIOS from a flash drive. Doing this fixed the problem and everything proceeded smoothly.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us