Question : Problem: Windows sees video adapter on Laptop but will only use VGASave

I have a Dell Precision M6300 running WinXP Pro SP3. This laptop has an Nvidia QuadroFX 3600M onboard VGA adapter. It had been connected to a docking station, with a second monitor attached. Suddenly, the docking station quit working. Then a Microsoft update was loaded. Now, the laptop will only run with VGASave. I can go into the device manager, and it shows the Nvidia card with the latest drivers. However, Windows refuses to use that adapter. It will not allow me to get out of VGASave mode. If I disable that mode, Windows boots into a blank screen with no video.

Answer : Problem: Windows sees video adapter on Laptop but will only use VGASave

I actually solved this myself. I am not sure it is a solution I would recommend to others as I am not sure why it worked. However, it worked. I looked in the registry for the following.

\\HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO\Device\Video0

I found that as well as the entry below.

VgaCompatible   \Device\Video2

I changed the entry to \Device\Video0

I then closed regedit and rebooted. Once I rebooted, i saw that the Nvidia settings were once again available under the video settings menu. I was able to once again, use a second monitor.

Interestingly, the entry in the registry is back to \Device\Video2. Like I said, I don't know how what I did got things working...but it did.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us