Question : Problem: Cannot Boot New custom system.  Floppy disk(s) fail 40. Do not even have a floppy drive.

I just put together a custom computer, this is my second build.  

Evga nvidia 750i SLI mother board
Intel Core 2 extream QX6800
Radeon 4870
4 GB ddr2 ram
Serial ATA 500GB Hard drive 7200 rpm
Serial ATA CD/DVD rom drive

I dont have any IDE drives just the two serial ATA drives,  There is  4 slots for SATA on the mother board, A0, A1, B0 and B1. I have my DVD drive in my A0 slot and my Hard drive in the B0 slot, Anyways When i try to boot the system and get vista to load from my dvd drive it recognizes the processor and SATA 1 (A0) Dvd drive and SATA 3 (B0) Hard drive however it then shows the line

Floppy disk(s) fail (40)  
Pres F1 to continue , DEL to enter Setup.

If i pres F1 to continue it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left and does nothing, forcing me to restart and enter the BIOS again.  However what confuses me the most is that I Do not even have a floppy drive. I dont see any options on my BIOS to disable the floppy drive, i did however set 1st boot priority to the DVD drive, second to the Hard drive, and then just disabled the 3rd boot priority of Removable ( which is the floppy drive i believe). This still does not help me because i get the same error.

If i set the BIOS to halt on No Errors it goes past the Floppy disk(s) fail 40 but just goes to the blank screen with blinking cursor and does not Load up my brand new Vista dvd from my dvd drive.

Any help would be apreciated.  my BIOS is Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Answer : Problem: Cannot Boot New custom system.  Floppy disk(s) fail 40. Do not even have a floppy drive.

Hi,

I don't know much about your board as i have never used but i have just done some research and found you manual online.

If you can get in to the BIOS it says an option on the First Screen Half way down the page Drive A. If you High light that option it seems you can press the +/- signs to change its value to NONE or something along those lines. I believe you could also try pressing enter to it and see if it brings up a menu.

Make the change and Press F10 to save.

You view the manual i was looking at with the address below Page 29. http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/123-YW-E175-A1.pdf

Hope this helps

Wayne
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us