Question : Problem: Citrix users cannot open web pages via emails

This one is puzzling.

I've got Citrix Metaframe 1.8 running on a W2K box.  Everything works just fine except for links within an Outlook 2002 email.  The open .exe dialog box appears.

The file associations for...

URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy

...are pointing to "C:\WINNT\system32\iexplore.exe" with DDE unchecked.  Changed to the correct path.  Tested with the local administrator.  All is well.  Tested with a non-admin user logged in via Citrx.  The two file assocations get reverted back.  

The environment does use a GPO and login scripts but I can't find anything within either that would affect the file associations.

Did several functions:

1) Changed both file associations - same result

Application Used: "D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
DDE Message: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
Application: IExplore
Topic: WWW_OpenURL

2) Reinstalled IE 6 which reset the assocations - same result.

3) Registered several dll's (urlmon.dll, etc) - same result

4) There is no spyware or viruses on the system (used several tools to check - all clean)

5) All patches and service packs are installed

After reseting the two file assocations and testing with the local admin, I would reboot and retest with local admin.  No problem.  As soon as a user (non admin) logs into the box, the two file associations gets changed.  

CHANGED HOW AND WHERE?  I don't know.  Need help on this puzzling one.

Answer : Problem: Citrix users cannot open web pages via emails

You can try using the ASSOC command to reset the file associations. Doing that from an admin account should keep the non-admin associations from reverting, but if they persist, you can use the ASSOC command from the users' login scripts to enforce the desired mappings.

If things are still wacky, try using RegMon to see which registry keys are being accessed when the non-admin users click on the link. That will isolate what needs to be corrected.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us