Question : Problem: RAID 10 or RAID 01??

Hello,

I have a question about the difference between RAID 10 and RAID 01, believe me, I did all the research I can, and read all the technical terms like stripped mirrors or mirrored stripes, but I can't really find exactly why a scenario would prefer one of the two.  I think what I really need is an explanation in english.

I have a datawarehouse project next month and the database size gets to over 500GB.  I need exceptional IO performance hence I choose this RAID setup over the RAID 1/0/5.  

Also, can someone tell me how is the IO overhead comparison between 5 and 10?

Thanks experts,
Phillip

Answer : Problem: RAID 10 or RAID 01??

RAID 10 is the same as RAID 0+1, you create mirrors and then stripe them.

RAID 1+0 or RAID 01 rarely exist, they would involve creating two stripe sets and mirroring them, same performance under normal poeration but if one drive fails then the whole stripe is down so you get a big performance hit.

RAID 10 is fast reconstructing a failed drive as it simply has to copy the mirror, RAID 5 is slow reconstructing a failed drive since it has to read all the other disks instead of just read the mirror, it also goes very slow with a failed disk.

I would agree that acnc has got it wrong, what they have called RAID 0+1 is what everyone else calls RAID 1+0, most controllers don't even support it since there is no sense in doing it that way.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us