Question : Problem: 1440x900 display resolution unavailable

Hi Experts

I recently purchased a Gainward Geforce 8600 GTS graphic card, which was installed on a new pc with a windowns vista ultimate operating system and a Samsung Syncmaster 940bw.
As you know the best resolution to use for the above monitor is 1440x900 in order to provide the necessary ratio of 1.6 : 1 and avoid image stretching, but it doesnt appear when trying to change the resolution.
I downloaded the latest nvidia driver for vista (162.22) from the nvidia website but still have the same problem as the custom timing option is not available.
I even tried both version of this driver, the US and the international without any success.
I tried both analogue and digital connection. The only difference with the dvi cable is that I get the scaling option in the nvidia control panel.
I tried different drivers including the new beta driver.
I even tried using a program called powerstrip which lets you add new resolutions without any success.
Any help on this is really appreciated. This problem is really bugging me as I checked many forums without success.
Thanks
Sam

Answer : Problem: 1440x900 display resolution unavailable

An 8600GTS should easily support the 1440 x 900 native resolution of your monitor.   Apparently the VESA/DDC communications between the monitor & video card are not working correctly, so the card does not "know" the capabilities of the monitor.   This is probably because the nVidia drivers for Vista don't support this properly (yet).

The easiest way to resolve this is to install the drivers for the monitor that will "tell" the OS (Vista) what the capabilities of the monitor are.   This is the latest driver for your monitor  (it works with both XP and Vista):  http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=CA&CttFileID=919687&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=N&ModelName=940BW&VPath=DR/200703/20070314093844937_SM940BW.exe
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us