Question : Problem: PV650F Software

Hi,

I wanted to ask that which exact software is required for the PowerVault 650F connected to a Dell Powervault 56F which is connected to a Windows Server 2003 via Qlogic 2200F. I need to the exact versions that will work properly on a Windows Server 2003

I know DELL say that it wont work on Windows Server but however some people say it does work. Doe anyone have any opinions on this?

Thankyou

Answer : Problem: PV650F Software

For configuration and management of the PV650F, you need Dell OpenManage Data Supervisor or Data Administrator. Or you can use EMC Navisphere Manager.

For fail-over, you need EMC ATF (Application Transparent Failover) installed on the hosts. You also need some sort of LUN masking application - Dell had a truly awful one called .... I can't remember :-(...  If you only have one or two hosts then you can dispense with the masking software.

You'll need the QL2200F drivers from http://support.qlogic.com. I don't believe that there are any EMC qualified W2K3 drivers for this card. You can probably get away with the W2K drivers instead. I have no idea how stable they will be, though. The 56F is managed via a web browser/Java console - so nothing special there.

You have a few problems here: first is getting the software. If you weren't supplied the software by the people that sold you the PV650F (BTW - I thought (from your previous question) that you had a PV630F - the expansion cabinet), then you are out of luck. You cannot download the software from Dell's website, and you have the same issue with EMC - so you are missing one of the most important parts of the puzzle. Unfortunately, you're not the first person to buy one of these old SANs, Others have posted here looking for the management software - I don't believe its available for free download anywhere.

Finally, the 650F (**not** 630F) will work under W2K3 - its just not supported. And there are no drivers. And there is no Dell management software for W2K3. Remember - this is an old system. Its probably fair to say that it was the first "affordable" SAN. Well, affordable compared to what else was around at the time. :-)

Sorry to bring you more bad news...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us