Question : Problem: Can I use HP StorageWorks 60 Modular Smart Array with none HP servers?

Here's the situation. I do basis sysadmin for a company that only have Dell servers.

They have a Dell Power Edge 1950 III server that needs extra disk space.
Dell has recommended a Powervault solution but the price is almost 35% more than a  HP StorageWorks 60 Modular Smart Array (418408-B21) including a card and disks (thus the complete package).

Since my own company has very good experience with HP components and they are not completely satisfied with Dell, they are also thinking of expanding with HP in the future.

Thus they want to know if they can use a MSA 60 with a Dell server?

HP says you can connect the MSA 60 with
HP Smart Array P800 controller      381513-B21 or
HP Smart Array E500 controller      435129-B21 or
HP Smart Array P600/256 BBWC Controller      337972-B21

Does anyone know if you can connect these cards with NONE HP servers and use the MSA60?
Has anyone actually tried this in real life?
I know HP sometimes have extra intelligence in their components so you don't use none HP brand.
If it DOES work. Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance.

Answer : Problem: Can I use HP StorageWorks 60 Modular Smart Array with none HP servers?

I thought that would be the response - as a HP Partner organisation we'd have said the same thing as we wouldn't want to be left holding the baby if it all went wrong.

EasyRAID are mentioned by a few clients as an alternative but I have no personal experience (good or bad) I'm afraid

Andy
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us