Question : Problem: Backing Up Data and Making it Bootable

I tried to create a back up copy of Partition C in which Windows XP Professional is installed by using Acronis True Image WorkStation 9.1 software on DVD media. The DVD player was Sony DVD RW DRU-710A and the discs were Mitsuibishi Double layer DVD R+. However the DVD disks which were seemingly copied with data were unreadable and unbootable. Acronis Software says that it can copy back up on DVD disks but in my case it gave an error or perhaps the DVD player proved to be incompatible.
I then successfully created a back up copy of Partition C on Partitiion D. However I do not known about the next step. How to make the backup image created on D bootable in case the partition C gets corrupted.Strangely when I click on create Bootable Rescue Media option in Acronis True Image WorkStation 9.1 software nothing happens. I also have Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in which again when I click on Bootable Media Builder nothing happens.
So in gist I want an answer that why Acronis True Image WorkStation 9.1 does not copy backup on a DVD as advertised. Secondly and the most important how to make the back up image stored on partition D bootable in case partition C becomes corrupt and thirdly why Bootable Rescue Media option in both the Acronis products are not working. Support from Acronis is scanty perhaps because of Christmas Holidays

SALEM586

Answer : Problem: Backing Up Data and Making it Bootable

An image is  a compressed image of the partition in one file (or sometimes this file is split into numerous files so they can fit to partitions which only support limited filesizes like fat32 or to removable media like CD's or DVD's. Such images are meant to be used to restore the original partition using the same software that created the image. It is like a backup that also isn't meant to be booted from. You restore backups and you don't boot them.

Cloning on the other hand doesn't write into one file, but it rather just copies the partition 1:1. So if the original was bootable, so would be the clone. This can cause problems with mixing up drive letters, so acronis and other cloning software either hides the cloned partition or does something else to it to keep it from booting automatically, but you can allways use the cloning utility to change that.

As for the download, if you managed to install the software, you probably got it complete. For the mediabuilder to work, you need an attached floppy or CDr drive, and all that the mediabuilder does is make cd's or floppies of diskdirector or trueimage which you can boot from, so you won't need to first install windows and then these tools to restore images or manipulate partitions. You should of course create those CD's...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us