Question : Problem: Want to add more RAID storage to Dell Poweredge 2600

I'm in a position where my exchange database has gotten pretty large and I want to add more storage as new drive to move the database to.  

What would be the steps I'd take to go about this?  I'm not too familiar with this particular unit.  Right now there are 3 37 gig drives inserted into the machine, and in windows it shows a single 67 gig drive with 3 partitions.   Raid 5?

What kind of drives do I need, and what is the reccomended configuration?  Should I get two drives for a Raid 1 configuration?  

Also, which kind of trays or inserts would I need to insert the drives? It looks like I have three available slots.

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Want to add more RAID storage to Dell Poweredge 2600

You should go with a raid 10 http://www.raid.com/04_01_10.html.
You'll benefit from improved performance/reliability at the cost of a drive per pair.
An in place replacement could prove difficult.  Make sure you have a good backup setup/disaster recovery plan.

You could two additional 37 GB drives and expand the RAID 5.  Then expand the partition where the database is.

Is a new server an option? if so, you might be better off as it will provide you with several benefits with the cost as the only downside.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us