Question : Problem: SCCM 2007 Bandwidth Utilization

Good morning,
I am planning an implementation of CM2007. My question is in regards to the amount of bandwidth consumed between primary and secondary sites. Here's a little more info: I have 4 sites connected via MPLS, 3 of the sites have 3MB pipes and 1 has a 1.5MB pipe. My original plan was to have 1 location be the primary/central site and the rest be secondary sites with their own distribution points. I'm getting push back from another individual that there are going to have to be 2 primary sites because of the amount of bandwidth that will be taken up. Is this the case? Can someone give me a llittle more insight as to how much data is being transferred back and forth between the sites? And with that, if there is 1 primary site does it HAVE to be the site with the most clients?

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Problem: SCCM 2007 Bandwidth Utilization

Content is rather minimal in my opinion, it all depends on how you schedule your clients and also your packages, for example, if you're going to poll your clients on an hourly basis of course you're going to have a lot more data moving back and forward between the sites however if you schedule them every one-three days than not so much.  We also enable throttling during the day so basically it runs at 25% between work hours and then 100% after hours, this helps minimise your bandwidth.  You should also remember that SMS/SCCM uses Bits to control bandwidth so this also helps keep things running smoothly.  We're relatively small company with just over 1000 systems spread out across 10 sites throughout New Zealand, we only use one primary SMS Server all the rest are child sites acting as Client Access Points, Distribution Points and Management Points, with all the above mentioned in place we haven't been affected by any bandwidth issues to date (knock on wood).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us