Question : Problem: Is a DVI-D cable and a video card with a DVI-I port compatible.

I have a video card with a port that is DVI-I.  I believe the port on the LCD is also a DVI-I. I glanced at LCD ports earlier and I think it is DVI-I.  When I was looking I had no idea there were so many different types of DVI.   Other than the VGA port are all the ports on LCD's DVI-I?  Anyway, the only cable I have is a DVI-D, identical on both ends.  Will this DVI-D cable work for the connection between the LCD and the DVI-I video card?  Or do I need to go buy a DVI-I cable as well?   Thank you.

Answer : Problem: Is a DVI-D cable and a video card with a DVI-I port compatible.

It looks like it's device dependent. I found some information on the subject.

Quoted from http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi-cables/dvicabletypes.htm

But some devices which support DVI-D may not have a DVI-D socket. Instead, they may have a DVI-I socket, which does have four pin sockets around the flat ground pin. When a device has a DVI-I socket, it may be any of three types, and which of these it is can ordinarily be determined by consulting your user's manual:
(1) DVI-D only; this device has no signal available on the analog pins, but uses a DVI-I socket only to allow a DVI-I cable to be used;
(2) DVI-A only; this device has no DVI-D digital signal available, and is simply using a DVI socket as a port for accepting a regular analog signal format (usually RGBHV, which would include VGA). The device may be connected to any RGBHV device, using a DVI-I cable, a DVI/VGA cable, or a DVI breakout to five separate lines for R, G, B, H and V.
(3) True DVI-I; this device has both analog and digital capability through this port. It may autosense, using a digital signal if present or an analog signal if no digital signal is found, or the digital/analog mode may have to be selected manually by a switch or menu selection.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us