Question : Problem: Difference between OEM and retail scsi raid adapters?

Hey experts!

I just purchased an Adaptec 2100s SCSI RAID adapter for a rebuild and upgrade of an older server (ASUS P2B-DS dual Plll).   I have been using an IDE drive as a boot drive and for the OS - the RAID array is only for serving files. I'm having trouble installing the adapter. After putting the card in the server, it seemed to be recognized, and allowed me to set up and build a RAID 10, but on reboot, the OS (Server 2003, supposed to have built-in drivers) hung at "starting windows". It would not go past this point. I tried everything I could think of, finally re-installing 2003. No luck - even setup hung at "starting windows" and failed. I tried installing 2000 Server (loading the appropriate driver at F6), thinking that 2003 didn't really have support for the 2100s yet; the install gave the same error, hanging at "starting windows", and failed.

I had noticed a sticker on the card referring to a part number - HP# xxxxx, but thought that had to be a coincidence. After calling Adaptec for assistance and giving them the serial number off the adapter, I found out that the card is indeed an HP part, and Adaptec will not offer support for OEM cards. Apparently, HP uses the 2100s in some of its servers, but the card is branded as HP's. I am not familiar with HP servers.

Is that the problem? Can this OEM card work with the above-mentioned motherboard, or is it customized to work only on an HP machine?

Or is the problem something else?

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Difference between OEM and retail scsi raid adapters?

I'm glad that it turned out to be something so minor.
**Mental note to self: always recommend to check the cables, this is one of the most common difficulties when SCSI is involved. ***

~LOL~

I'm happy that you have it all up and runnig correctly. I must tell you that points are not necessary as you corrected the issue yourself. If you feel like being generous and awarding points "for company and support wit this...". I won't object, ~grins~ But it definitely isn't necessary. (Also, please note, you can ask the mods to refund your points and PAQ this question. I wouldn't recommend deleting this question as it does have a valid solution, you just found it yourself. If you want to do this, please post the request here:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Community_Support/

:o)

Bartender_1
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us