Question : Problem: Intel 64 vs AMD 64 bit architecture

Hi,

With Windows Vista 64 bit edition out which cpu runs the 64 bit operating system better - a Intel 64 cpu such as the qx6700 (Quad core 2) or a AMD cpu such as the fx62?  And are they both compatible with Vista 64 bit?  Also when do they plan on releasing 64 bit software such as Microsoft Office 64 bit?

Thanks,

Mark

Answer : Problem: Intel 64 vs AMD 64 bit architecture

Hello Mark:

A good CPU comparison page is here:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

This is a 32-bit based comparison and does not answer your question directly but I would expect the 64 bit performance to scale in a similar fashion.

Both the Intel and AMD processor will run Vista 64 bit.

I do not know about Microsoft's plans for a 64 bit version of the Office suite.

At the present time the main advantage of a 64 bit operating system is in a larger addressable memory.  32 bit versions of Windows are limited to 3.25-3.4 Gb memory due some quirks of the PC architecture.  If you build a 4 Gb box, it only comes up with 3.25 Gb of actual RAM (such as the box I'm using right now).  You can play some tricks to pick up a little more of that memory but they involve address translation schemes that tend to make memory access slower.

If you run a 64 bit OS on the same hardware all the memory is available, and many of the newer motherboards will accommodate 8 Gb or more, all of which can be accessed by a 64 bit OS.

This gives software more memory to work with, which can improve performance of applications that work on large chunks of data at once, such as photo/video processing, modeling and some database applications.

To really take advantage of the 64 bit OS the applications will have to be, at least, recompiled and linked for a 64 bit environment.

For example, you can run Photoshop CS2 in Vista 64 and use all that nice memory but it's still a 32 bit application.

Some of the parts of Vista 64 bit are actually 64 bit applications, but many are 32 bit apps running in a 32/64 bit compatibility mode.

I am not aware of any mainstream applications that have a specific 64 bit version out, so for now the only advantage is in more addressable memory, better security and some increased performance of the core OS, at least that part that is truly 64 bit.

Also, Vista 64 bit requires drivers specifically signed for 64 bit operation and many hardware vendors who have Vista 32 bit drivers do not yet have equivalent 64 bit versions.  You should check compatibility before you commit.

I see it (Vista 64) as a nice sandbox but not quite ready for prime time.

This is a useful thumbnail of Vista 64 bit advantages and some disadvantages

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_x64.asp

wb
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us