Question : Problem: What is the purpose of a GC-SPDIF expansion card?

I reciently purchased a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard.  It came with a GC-SPDIF expansion card.  The manual that came with the motherboard does not mention this card.  I would like to know what it is used for, so that I can decide on whether to install the card.

A comment for general information:  This Gigabyte intallation manual is very poorly written.  The Taiwanese who wrote it must have failed his English course.  The book lacks important information and detailed information on topics covered.

Answer : Problem: What is the purpose of a GC-SPDIF expansion card?

From the manual: "The SPDIF output is capable of providing digital audio to external speakers or compressed AC3 data to an external Dolby Digital Decoder.  You should use this feature only when your stereo system has digital output."

For the record, RPDC, most mb manuals I have seen can be classified as "poorly" written.  Sometimes it makes you question the integrity of the hardware, as well (if the technical writer is this bad, how good can the mb designers be?!??!)  However, that's one of the benefits of the net (and E-E, of course).  My current mb is missing about 50% of the information I needed... but I found nearly all of it on the web... more than 50% of *that* right here on E-E.  [comment to the moderators: 2 points for the advertising spot?]  :)

Best of luck with the new system... sounds like you'll be having quite a bit of fun with it... be sure to post whenever you need assistance.

/ew
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us