Question : Problem: Which Access Point should I get?    Cisco vs Dlink vs your opinion

We are looking into a wireless solution, when building the network in our new facility.
I have asked about access points prior and was directed to the d-link DWL-3200AP. While speaking with CDW because we are buying switches to increase our backbone (procurve 1800) plus these down the road are capable of QOS for a decent price  (we do not heavily manage our switches so tons of options was not needed we run a fairly simple network) Any how CDW recomended, Cisco Aironet 1242AG 802.11a/g Non-modular IOS AP. They recomended this Because where they will be used is a manufacturing facilitty building metal buildings (we build switchgear for wind farms) and uwe will have lots of metal building frame work. a typical warehouse with overhead cranes ceilings are say 30 feet tall
the shop is 200 feet wide and 560 feet long
Now for the price of the cisco $605.00 ea Plus 110.00 for an antenna, I can buy a few more of the Dlinks at right now 139.00.  I will need at least 2 cisco units. as the whole shop doesn't need to be covered, plus they do not need to have full speed as the wireless will only to be to view a website or get a drawing.

Ok what would you do buy 5-6 of the dlink units at 139.00 or 2 of the cisco units at aprox 714.00 each?
Is the cisco unit so much better that its definitly worth it or would the multiple Dlink units make up for it.
or would you have another recomendation for an access point.

Answer : Problem: Which Access Point should I get?    Cisco vs Dlink vs your opinion

I recommend the D-Links as I have a lot of them form outdoor to indoor and they have been rock solid, no problems and they just work with no other needs. Set them up one, which is easy and away you go.

Cisco is good and high dollar stuff. BUT, I am not certain why (other than an Agreement for better pricing and salesman commissions and I am only speculating), that they would recommend Cisco because of metal buildings and obstacles.

RF, Radio Frequencies, no matter whose device sends them out, will react the same when confronting a reflective surface.

Now, I have not compared actually frequency tolerances, RF receive sensitivity, actual power output and the signal quality in db at a meter, but you might get yourself a good spec sheet on the RF characteristics. More sensitivity and a better power output beyond the antenna, usually represented in db, can show better engineering in the RF stage. Maybe the Cisco has better error correction which will mean less time, less latency of the data packets.

If you need better range/sensitivity, for either AP, you can add a direction high gain or omnidirectional antenna.

That's my .02 cents anyway. I believe both are good. I also know that the Cisco may be a bit more difficult to set up but it has a lot more software features that it sounds like in your environment you will not need.

John
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us