Question : Problem: USB distance - will a 5m extension cable work when the keyboard, mouse already have 1.5m lead?

Hi,

I am extending USB, and looking at 5m extension cables, and I know that the maximum specified distance for USB is 5m, but what happens if you exceed it?  (Anyone with practical experience with this)  OR are there other reliable ways to extend over this distance instead of a hub, because one special keyboard I am using says "only to be used directly into the computer"?

Answer : Problem: USB distance - will a 5m extension cable work when the keyboard, mouse already have 1.5m lead?

In a nutshell, if you go beyond 5m you may experience issues with the reliability of the data sent on the USB cable since there is a maximum allowable time for round-trip data to sent from one end of the cable and back and increasing the length of the cable increses this time.  There is no way to reliable extend the length of USB without a powered device like a hub.  You can however get extension cables that are essentially a single port hub.  

If the keyboard manufactuer says that it has to be directly connected, I'm sure there is a reason for that, and in the past I have found that with a few items that I have, not heading the warning means a device that does not work, so if you an extrension of any type on the keyboard, you milage will vary.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us