Question : Problem: Move certain files from external hard drive to defaut iTunes directory

I kind of screwed up my file locations for iTunes.  I have an external where some of my iTunes music files are stored, while others are stored in the default iTunes directory.  Since I now have to have my external drive plugged in for iTunes to do any synching, I figured it'd be best to move all of those songs over to the default iTunes directoy and just use the external for backup.  

The problem is, I have no idea how to tell which songs are pointing to my external and which are pointing to the default locations.  How can I tell, and what is the quickest way to get those files moved over?

Answer : Problem: Move certain files from external hard drive to defaut iTunes directory

Under the Advanced menu item, there should be an option to "Consolidate" your library.  That will take all of the music files and copy them to the folder you have defined under your Advanced Preferences as your iTunes Music Folder. Then you can delete the old files, or keep them as a backup, like you said.

From the iTunes help file:
Depending on how you've imported songs, videos, and other items into iTunes, your library can include items that are located in various places on your computer's hard disk or other locations.
You can place a copy of all the files in your library in your iTunes Music folder so that, for example, it's easier to copy your library to a new computer.

To copy all your iTunes files into your iTunes Music folder:
Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library.
Any iTunes file located outside the iTunes Music folder remains in its original location, and a copy of it is placed in your iTunes Music folder.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us