Question : Problem: HP Scanner cannot initialize

Hi!

I have a problem with my HP Scanner, model C7670A. I hope you can help.

My system is a Dell GX150, with 190 MB RAM, Windows NT 4.0, SP6, 10 GB HD. Pentium 3, 1 GHz CPU,133 FSB. On-board sound and graphics.

The scanner is connected to the PC via an Adaptec 2940AU SCSI controller card. It is detected in the SCSI BIOS and is also listed in the SCSI Adapters applet in the control panel. The problem occurs when I launch the HP Precision Scan Pro 3.02 software, where it reports an error, "Sorry, scanner could not be initialized (Scanner not found)."

Also, connected to the SCSI card is a Yamaha CRW2100S CD Writer which works fine. Under the Advanced Configuration Options, in the SCSI BIOS the SCAM Plug and Play Support is disabled.

I had previously been using an Adaptec 2904 SCSI card but this is a very cheap card and only works reliably with one device.

Apparently, this a known problem but there would appear to be no known fix, just trial and error.

Looking forward to a reply.

Many thanks,

Nick Bestwick
London

Answer : Problem: HP Scanner cannot initialize

The first thing to check when troubleshooting SCSI devices is the SCSI ID set for each device.  If the SCSI IDs aren't set correctly, especially if you have duplicate IDs on the same channel, the SCSI controller will get really confused and not utilize the attached SCSI devices correctly.

But, you should be able to verify SCSI IDs in the BIOS setup of your SCSI controller.  Make sure the same SCSI ID isn't being used for more than one device on any channel of the controller.

The default SCSI ID for the scanner is 2.  Here's a document I found on HP.com about how to change the SCSI ID of the scanner (wow, I didn't know you could do that):
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpm15305.html#P1_98

The second thing to check is termination.  So, make sure the entire SCSI chain is properly terminated.  There is a HP.com web page that says there is a problem using certain Adaptec cards with 50-68 pin cables and adapters with the HP ScanJet 6300 because the High Data Byte pins aren't terminated correctly (I gather those would be pins 51-68):
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/scanners/support_doc/nps00070.html

And, is your CDRW internal or external? If it's internal, does the SCSI card support connecting devices to both the internal and external connections simultaneously?  A lot of cards don't.  Check your manual for the card.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us