Question : Problem: Replacement Screen for Notebook question

I'm replacing a cracked screen in a Dell Inspiron 9300.  It is an LG LP171WXG2.

How can you tell if a machine has the glossy screen? Is that a feature of the LCD?  Is is just the cover over the glass part of the screen?  And do manufacturers sell the same model number of screen with and without the gloss?

Also, this screen has a revision number on it like LP 171WXG2 (A1).  What happens if I buy a (B2)?

I'm leaning towards buying a grade A refurbished to save some bucks.  The customer is in accord with this.  Does anyone recommend otherwise?

Answer : Problem: Replacement Screen for Notebook question

To look directly at a notebook screen, you'll know if it's a glossy or not solely because of the reflectivity of the screen and contrast of the picture. However, if you don't have that option (buying online, for example), glossy screens are typically noted by a special name. Sony calls them XBRITE, Fujitsu calls them CrystalView. My Gateway is Ultrabright. You see how it is, and you'll know a glossy screen when you see the option, because many order online notebooks offer the glossy screen at an extra cost (usually a small cost; HP adds $25).

Matte screens are basically the screens of old, although they do still see use today and for some, these are preferable. These have no reflectivity, and newer ones still have excellent contrast. The "screen door effect" can be more pronounced on these screens. These tend to be less expensive than glossy screens. New iBooks, for example, use these screens.

Even if you're shopping online, you'll want to go to a local retailer and actually get a good look at the screens for yourself so you know the difference. It's one of those things that can't be fully articulated in a guide and should be experienced personally, but hopefully this guide will help you tell the difference between the two.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2549
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us