Question : Problem: Steady amber light on dell computer

I can't be really specific at this time as to the model, however, I have a friend that has a dell computer in which the power light has a steady amber color.  This has occurred on a few occasions.  At first it was happening when I tried enabling the stand by feature. After the standby kicked in, I was unable to restore the function of the computer,and only received a steady amber light on the power switch.  I fixed the problem by taking out the cmos battery and reinstalling it after about thirty seconds.  I turned off the standby feature and hadn't had a problem, until my friend recently had a quick power outage in which his computer turned off.  At this time the amber light problem recurred.  The cmos battery removal repaired the problem, however, I am looking for a more permanent fix.  Do you suggest that it could be a bios bug, since the computer becomes usable after resetting the cmos.  I have a feeling that the bios is incorrectly seeing the removal of voltage to the motherboard as a "power" problem and giving the amber light as a failsafe?!

Answer : Problem: Steady amber light on dell computer

then i would look at the mobo for bad caps :   www.badcaps.net
or try another power supply
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us