Question : Problem: What is the maxium capacity HDD for Poweredge 2400

Greetings,

I was wondering if I can take out the SCSI drives and replacing them with bigger ones in the Dell Poweredge 2400?

currently there are six (6) 9 Gig hotswappable SCSI drives .. can i go out and get the biggest SCSI drive and put them in the caddy?

Any one know if there are limitations?

thanks

Answer : Problem: What is the maxium capacity HDD for Poweredge 2400

All this depends on your needs.  as a file server dual 700 MHz CPUs should be more than sufficient in most cases.  *I* would upgrade it to gigabit unless it's only lightly used for MS Office type documents.  But GbE won't help you if your switch(es) don't support it.

Any new server you buy is going to cost you the money on the hard drives any way and the money for a new RAID controller.  There is an issue of warranty, but these systems are common enough you could buy one cheap off ebay as a spare.

If you have 6x9GB drives (54 usable GB of space), and you've outgrown that, why go from .05TB to 1.5TB - that's a HUGE jump - do you really expect your data to grow THAT much that quickly?  Buying 6x36GB drives will be MUCH cheaper and quadruple your space.  Or 6x73 GB drives.

Unless you are repurposing the server and it's not CURRENTLY a file server but you intend to make it one.  In which case, I fall back on my earlier point - any new server still requires the money be spent on the disks and controller.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us